Thursday, November 11, 2010

Cookie Cook-off - Pretzel Turtles

If you don't want to whole story... just skip to the end for the recipe.

My family is weird. We have a weird sense of humor, we do weird things (ask one of us about the game "endurance" we invented to amuse ourselves and keep the kids busy)...and we have weird kids. Well, some of the others have weird kids.

Periodically, in all our weirdness, we get together for family vacations. Inevidatibly, we have a cook off of some sorts. We did a hot cocoa off, a salmon off, and today we highlight the cookie off. Technically it was cookie, bar type or finger dessert.

I only have the recipe for mine and the popcorn chex mix, but will try and get the others to post theirs in the near future. So keep checking back.

I will be honest, I don't remember who made everything, but I will take a guess. This recipe is actually on the blog HERE. It is the popcorn chex mix and is very good. Everytime I make this I take home an empty bowl and many requests for the recipe. I want to think that Wendi made it for the contest.



Next was this yummy bar made by Steff. Don't have the recipe here yet, but I will bother her until she posts. It has oatmeal and was carmely (is that a word?)



Okay, either this one was Wendi's or Mom's. You can see a lovely carmel layer in the middle.



And I want to think that this was Gayle's. I could be wrong. Just know that this was also made with lots of love.



This year, I decided to go easy. I went with the pretzel rolo cookie thing-a-ma-bob.


There are no rules during the sampling and voting portion of the contest. So I thought I would try something to sway the votes in my favor.




Then things got ugly and someone replaced my note with this....



And the sampling begins. Each person gets ONE vote!



The votes are counted...

And I won! Mostly because all the kids thought it would be funny to vote for mine since it only took about 10 minutes to make, as apposed to those who spent quite a bit a of time and energy on theirs. After, we had some Rock Band time, followed by sledding.





Besides the poor marine animals hurt in the making of my desert... everyone had a pretty good time.

Here is the recipe for my Pretzel Turtles (aka) thing-a-ma-bobs.

Pretzel Turtles


20 pretzels
20 rolos
20 pecan halves

Prehead oven to 300 degrees

Arrange pretzels in a single layer on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake for 4 minutes. While the candy is warm, press a pecan half onto each candy covered pretzel. Cool completely before storing in airtight container.

No comments: