Wednesday, November 3, 2010

White Chocolate Popcorn

No picture due to the fact I got a little lax watching my white chocolate and had a problem with it seizing. I do it in the microwave in a glass bowl, microwaving for 30 second intervals, stirring in between. Then as it starts to melt, I drop it down to 15 seconds, stirring in between until it is melted (it doesn't take to long). But I kept doing 30 seconds until it resembled a crumbly mess. So don't do what I did. Either watch it careful OR use a double boiler. And remember to check all utensils and bowl for moisture, because that will also cause the chocolate to seize.

I did attempt to mix it in to my popcorn anyway, and the flavor was definitely there. I am not a huge white chocolate fan, but my daughter loved it. I think next time I would try it with chocolate and maybe even drizzle a little white chocolate over the top before putting into the fridge.

Everyone who tried this recipe on a board I frequent gave it rave reviews and said that everyone cleans them out quickly when the take it places.

Krispie White Chocolate Popcorn

A bag of movie theatre style microwave popcorn popped
1 bag white chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1-2 cups of rice krispies
1/2-1cup cup chopped pecans

Pour popcorn in bowl and check for unpopped kernals. Don't want anyone breaking their teeth. Now melt one bag white chocolate chips until smooth and creamy, add the 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Pour some of the white chocolate over the popcorn. Then layer in some rice krispies and pecans and stir. Pour more white chocolate over mixture, then the rest of the rice krispies and pecans and stir. Pour rest of chocolate over mixture. Do this quickly so the white chocolate mixture doesn't harden.

The purpose of layering is to keep the rice krispies and pecans from falling to the bottom. If you layer the ingredients, they are better incorporated and are more thoroughly coated.

Spread mixture on cookie sheet covered with wax paper and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes or so (too long in the fridge makes the popcorn chewy!!!)
Keeps 2-3 days in a sealed container.

One thing that makes this so yummy is the rice krispies. There is a the lovely flavor of the white chocolate (peanut butter is so slight you really don't notice it), the buttery popcorn and the crunch of the rice krispies. Great textures and a tastey treat.

This would be a yummy neighbor gift for Christmas. Just put in a cute food bag or container with a fun note and deliver.

No comments: