Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Melt in Your Mouth Shortbread Cookies

Does it ever amaze you how you can be married for 25 years and then, out of the blue you find out something about your spouse you never knew. Such as, his pet peeve is breaking the spaghetti noodles in half before cooking them. Or that his second favorite kind of cookie (after the obvious chocolate chip) is shortbread.

Last night we wanted a little treat, and with this new information and knowing I didn't want to whip up a big batch of chocolate chip cookies, I found this little gem. Only 4 ingredients and they truly do melt in your mouth AND they were so quick to make.


 
MELT IN YOUR MOUTH SHORTBREAD COOKIES

1 cup butter (no substitutes)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cups flour

Make sure you butter is softened (9-11 seconds in the microwave usually does it). Whip the puddin out of the butter. Put your mixer on high and let it go for about 3 minutes (wipe down the edges once or twice). Add your powdered sugar and let it mix another minute or so. Then add the cornstarch and flour. Whip it again for an additional 2 minutes.

Place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. The dough is soft so I used my cookie scoop. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. You want the edges so they are just starting to turn light brown. Take them out and let them sit for a few minutes to cool or they will fall part.

Just as good the second day :)

My Notes: I think these would be a great holiday cookie, You could drizzle with a little chocolate like the picture, or put your thumb print in the top before baking and add a little dollop of jam. It could be a versital dough to play with.

7 comments:

judi said...

You don't mention an oven temp......

Anonymous said...

It says 350 in the recipe. :-)

Charmcity Realtor said...

I've been looking for this recipe forever. I made it in high school and the cookies were delicious but then couldn't find the recipe, I knew what was in it but couldn't remember the proportions and failed miserably several times.

Tfamily said...

So glad I could help :) It is definitely a keeper. One of the reasons I started this blog was to post all the recipes that I like (and for my sisters to post also) so I didn't lose them. I probably get on here a couple of times a week looking for a family favorite. Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

I think "9 to 11 minutes" in the microwave would boil the butter instead of softening it.
This sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Tfamily said...

Yes, that would definitley boil it. Thanks for catching my typo :)

Contact yahoo support said...

Thank you for this recipe. I loves chocolate dishes and i will try. keep sharing us with more posts like this.