Thursday, May 1, 2008

Banana Bread


I realize that there is a shortage (maybe it is over) of bananas, but I wanted to share this recipe that has been passed around and horded through our ward. It is a very sweet banana bread and has not nuts (I guess you could add some if you wanted to). I love the added almond flavoring and the glaze makes it more of a dessert than other banana breads. This makes 2-3 loaves depending on your pans. And "no" just because it has bananas, doesn't mean it is healthy (check out the oil and butter yummm!)

Banana Bread

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp soda
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 mashed bananas
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup oil
1/2 cup butter melted
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar until smooth. Add buttermilk, eggs, oil, butter and mashed bananas. Mix until just combined. Next add vanilla and almond extract. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add to wet mixture and mix until just combined. I believe if you over mix it will make your bread tougher (can anyone confirm this?).
Pour into bread pans that have been sprayed with pam. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or more. Check it with a knife, when you insert the knife and pull it out if there is still wetness on it then keep cooking. I definitely cooked mine for more than an hour. If your oven cooks hot, you may want to drop the temperature a little so they don't get to brown on the outside.

Glaze
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 tsp butter

Bring to a boil - turn off and pour over warm bread while still in the pan. When it sets up, remove bread from pans. Let sit until cooled a little, then slice and serve.

2 comments:

Lamb Family said...

Thanks for the recipe - I have some over ripe banans just waiting to be used! It looks yummy!

Steff said...

Darn! I wish I liked Banana Bread. Luckily, Matt likes it and I know what I'm going to be making next time we have super ripe bananas! The glaze on top sounds really yummy. Matt thanks you. :)