Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chicken Skewers with Sweet Red Chili Sauce


Don't Count Me Out!

It is May 31st and here I am keeping my promise to post at least monthly. I almost missed the deadline and in this family if you mess up there are some (Lorri) that will never let you forget it. I have had some grand intentions of posting, in fact my computer is full of pictures I have taken of foods we love, but do I share - NO! Yes, I am the sister that is hoarding her delicious recipes! Not to fear though, I am making a decision, right here - right now, to share so that you too can be an amazing cook like me. Okay just kidding - I'm not that great, but every once in a while I make something that is pretty dang good and I will start sharing. Take for example this last weekend, I grilled up some really, really good chicken, it is perfect for a group or just your family. I ended up marinading 8 lb. of chicken plus 3.5 lb. of steak (recipe to come later) and there was not even a morsel left. I highly recommend you trying this out ASAP - let me know what you think!
Chicken Skewers

30 wooden skewer sticks - soak in water 30 minutes before threading chicken strips so the skewers don't burn on the grill.

4 large chicken breast (I use tenderloins, just more of them) - cut into 1/2 inch strips

1/4 c. soy sauce
1 T. brown sugar
2 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. honey
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, honey, ginger and garlic. Put chicken strips in a gallon ziploc bag and pour marinade over the top - seal it up. Let marinade for a couple of hours or I like to prepare this the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight for some really good flavor. Right before grilling thread the chicken onto skewer sticks then grill on medium heat 5- 10 minutes, turning often. Discard marinade. Serve chicken with a bowl of Sweet Red Chili Sauce for dipping. Delicious!!

Note: keep the marinade to chicken ratio equal so you get the wonderful flavor in the chicken - don't skimp!

Red Chili Sauce

1 red bell pepper
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. soy sauce
2 T. corn starch
1/4 tsp. crushed red chili flakes
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
In a blender puree all ingredients. Pour mixture into a small pan and bring to a boil. Stir constantly and cook until sauce thickens. Serve warm or chill.

3 comments:

Tfamily said...

I knew you would come though. The sister that always keeps us organized surely is the one who will post before the deadline :)
This looks really yummy. Definitely on my list of things to make. By the way, the photo looks great!

Steff said...

I'm very proud of you. The recipe sounds pretty good too! I'll have to give a try.

P.S.- Lorri, are you saying I'm not organized? Whaaaatttt???!!!

Tfamily said...

I didn't say that YOU weren't organized:)

Seriously though, you know that when we get together, we all like to just sit back and do whatever Wendi has planned. Besides I am to tired and have no imagination anymore.

Ohhh remind me, I have this great idea for the family reunion. A tasty treat and NO it has nothing to do with the cookoff.