Friday, June 19, 2009

Bran Muffins

We are attempting to eat a little healthier around our house. When going through my stack of favorite recipes, I found this little gem. This came from my Mom (again, not sure who she got if from) and I remember her making batches of these while us kids would eat them warm out of the oven.




The great thing about this recipe is that you can make a batch and cook them as you need them. Keep the dough in your fridge up to 6 weeks. Warm bran muffins each morning. Yum!

BRAN MUFFINS

2 cups. All Bran Muffins Cereal
2 cups boiling water
3 cups sugar
1 heaping cup shortening
4 eggs
1 quart buttermilk
5 cups flour
5 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoons salt
4 cups Nabisco Bran Cereal

Mix boiling water and 2 cups all bran cereal together and set aside. Cream shortening and sugar. Then add to the creamed mixture the buttermilk and eggs. In another bowl combined flour, soda and salt. Mix that into wet mixture. Add the 4 cups of Nabisco Bran and combine well. Fold in the All Bran and boiling water in last.

Pour into muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Can leave in fridge up to 6 weeks. I made 1/2 a batch and so far have gotten 24 muffins with about another batch of 12 to go.

NOTES:
I subbed 1/2 a cup of applesauce for half of the shortening to lighten it up a little.
I also used 4 cups of All Bran instead of the 4 cups of Nabisco Bran because that was all I had on hand.
Last sub was milk with lemon juice instead of buttermilk. You need to add either lemon juice or white vinegar 1 tablespoon to each cup of milk.

Next time I will try doing all applesauce and no shortening. I also am considering trying half fresh ground wheat flour and half white flour. Just some ideas to try. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

No comments: