Monday, January 9, 2017

Fluffy pancakes

I am finally find some time to be creative again. Life has been busy with one daughter having Crohn's and another ended up with scoliosis that needed surgery. I also have a niece and daughter-in-law who have expressed interest in adding some of their recipes. They are both excellent cooks, so I am excited to see what they share.

This recipe is one that is my go to when we want pancakes. As I mentioned above I have a daughter with Crohn's. Because of this I have spent many hours reading the ingredients of food labels. I decided that I like to know what is in my food and how to pronounce it. We tossed out our Krusteaz because this comes together really quick and are really yummy. The trick is the baking soda combining with the vinegar (added to the milk to make buttermilk). This makes the batter bubbly and light. I usually end up adding more milk so they are thinner than the recipe calls for.

Let me know how you like it!


Fluffy Pancakes



3/4 cup milk (I usually add more)
2 Tablespoons vinegar (I do one as the vinegar can get overpowering)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
2 Tablespoons butter, melted

Mix the milk and vinegar, set aside for 5 minutes for milk to sour. In another bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. When the milk has soured, add the egg and melted butter to milk mixture and stir until combined. Slowly add milk mixture to flour mixture. Mix until dry ingredients are wet. It is okay if there are still some small lumps of flour. Let sit for a few minutes so the vinegar and baking soda/baking powder can do its thing.

Heat up a frying pan on low to medium low. If the pan is to hot the pancakes will not cook through. Add a little oil to the pan and spread with a paper towel to coat the bottom. Pour about 1/4 cup of pancake batter in the pan (less if you want smaller pancakes). Let it cook until you see bubbles on the top, then flip. let it cook until light brown on the other side.

Serve with butter and your favorite toppings. I have doubled this recipe with no problem.

No comments: