Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tomatillo Chicken Chili

I know, another soup type recipe. Sorry, this just looked very interesting and I had to try it. And I am glad that I did. I only used 1/2 the jalapeno, which was probably just right for my family. My kids said it tasted like I put lime juice in it. I think that flavor comes from the tomatillos.

If you haven't ever used a tomatillo before, this is what they look like.



They look like small green tomatoes with a green husk on the outside. They are usually NOT located by your tomatoes, but over where you would find eggplant and jalapenos etc. When you remove the husks, the tomatillo is slightly sticky, but wash off easy.

Even though this is called a "chili" it doesn't have any beans. Although I thought the addition of a white bean would be yummy. My sister in law isn't much of a bean fan, so I thought this would be a nice recipe for her. This chili has a thin sauce which thickens up as the tomatillos break down. The recipe make 5 bowl size servings or 8 smaller sizes. We served it with some crushed chips and sprinkled with Mexican cheese.



Tomatillo Chicken Chili

7 or 8 fresh tomatillos, quartered (husks removed) I cut mine in 1/2" pieces
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (I used 1/2)
2 T olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed (I used my canned chicken or you can use rotisserie chicken)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander (I didn't have any so omitted it)
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (reserved until before you're ready to serve it)
1 tsp salt (I would taste and add salt accordingly at the end)

Brown chicken cubed breasts in olive oil. (If using canned chicken or rotisserie, just start to saute onion and garlic then add chicken at the end of cooking period). Add onion and garlic and saute. Combine all ingredients (except for cilantro and salt) in a pot and simmer on low for 45 minutes. Add cilantro and salt just before serving. You can serve with tortilla strips if you'd like. This also works well in the crock pot. Again, I think the addition of a can of white beans would be good also.

Hope you enjoy it as much as my family did. There was none left!

No comments: