Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mandarin Avocado Toss

My mom actually served this at my wedding reception, so it's not a new recipe (although it's been tucked in the back of my cabinet for awhile), but a really GREAT one. I took it to a dinner party last night and everyone raved over it. So, here it is! And I'll get a picture soon too!

1/2 c. sunflower kernels
1/2 c. slivered almonds (I used the Almond Accents in a bag)
2 T. butter
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 T. red wine vinegar or cider
1 T. lemon juice
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground mustard (I used about 1 t. FRESH mustard)
1 garlic clove, minced
4 c. torn green leaf lettuce
1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges, drained
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
1 to 2 green onions, chopped

In a small skillet, saute sunflower kernels and almonds (if not using the Almond Accents) in butter. Cool. Meanwhile, in a jar with a tigh-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, mustard and garlic; shake well. In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuce, oranges, avocado, onions, sunflower kernels, and almonds. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.

Cori's Notes: I only use half the dressing on about 8 c. of lettuce. The dressing is oily and heavy if you use the full amount.

2 comments:

Steff said...

My husband loves avacados. I bet he would really like this. Thanks for sharing another great recipe to add to my file.

Thomas Family said...

I love avacados also. Thanks for the recipe!