Monday, August 4, 2008

Mustard Roasted Potatoes


These are slightly overcooked, so don't let the picture fool you, they are yummy.

So you have your main dish all figured out, but what in the heck to serve with it? And what can you make with ingredients you have on hand and won't take a lot of work? Mustard Roasted Potatoes from the Barefoot Contessa. I checked one of her cookbooks out of the library and found this quick and tasty recipe. I chose this because I have a son that loves mustard. In fact, when he was in grade school he would make his own lunch which consisted of a mustard and pickle sandwich. So how could I go wrong. The funny thing about this recipe is that the mustard really doesn't stand out. It gives the potatoes a nice tang but they certainly don't taste mustardy (is that a word). Plus they are very easy to make. So give it a try and tell me what you think.
(I didn't have whole grain mustard, so instead used regular which worked out fine.)

Mustard-Roasted Potatoes
2.5 pounds small red potatoes
2 yellow onions (I only use half of one)
3 tablespoons good olive oil
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Cut potatoes into halves or quarters, depending on their size, and place them on a sheet pan. Cut onions into half-rounds and toss with potatoes on sheet pan. Add olive oil, mustard, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt and pepper, and toss everything together. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until potatoes are lightly browned. Toss from time to time during baking so they brown evenly. Sprinkle hot potatoes with parsley and more salt to taste, and serve.

2 comments:

Steff said...

For some reason, these sound really yummy to me. Probably because I love mustard and salt and potatoes. I really want to try these but Matt doesn't love mustard or red potatoes. Maybe we'll have to make them when I come home during Christmas time. They look gooooooood!

I LOVE YOU said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.