Monday, June 9, 2008
I found this in my "Better Homes and Garden Cookbook". This is one of my favorite recipes. It is super easy and my husband just loves it. It was a staple in our home during our first year of marriage!
2-1/3 cups dried cavatelli or wagon wheel macaroni (7 ounces)
12 ounces uncooked Italian sausage links, sliced 1/2 inch thick, or lean ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 26-ounce jar pasta sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I usually put extra!)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
2. In a large skillet cook the sausage, onion, and garlic until sausage is brown; remove from skillet. Drain.
3. In a large bowl stir together pasta sauce, 3/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese, and the pepper. Add the cooked pasta and the drained sausage mixture. Stir gently to combine. Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart casserole.*
4. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until nearly heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
5. Makes 5 or 6 servings
6. *Note: For individual portions, spoon the mixture into 5 or 6 individual (8- to 10-ounce) casseroles. Place the casseroles on a large baking sheet. Cover casseroles with foil and bake in a 375 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until nearly heated through. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese, and bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.