Friday, May 2, 2008

Cinco de Mayo: Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

I just found this recipe. I haven't actually tried it yet. I am planning to make it for Cinco de Mayo! Looks good...don't you think?

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas


6 tablespoons honey
5 tablespoons lime juice (1 large lime)
1 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (I used 3 small chicken breasts)
8-10 flour tortillas
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1 cup heavy cream

Mix the first four ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let it marinate for at least 1/2 hour (I tossed mine together in a ziploc bag in the morning and let it sit in the refrigerator all day). Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9X13 baking pan. Fill flour tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 cup of cheese to sprinkle on top of enchiladas. Mix the remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade. Pour sauce on top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until brown and crispy on top.

6 comments:

Steff said...

Mmmm, these sound pretty good. Can we come to your house for Cinco De Mayo? J/k. I like this different twist on enchiladas. I really love lime flavor in my foods. Looks like another recipe to file away in my "to make" box. Thanks!

Thomas Family said...

Let us know how it turns out! I have a recipe that this reminds me of. Well okay the only part is the marinade. It has honey, lemon juice, cumin (one of my new favorites), cilantro and olive oil. You marinade the chicken then cook on grill. Slice chicken up at an angel and pile on crusty toasted rolls. You can then add tamotillo (spell?) salsa, red onion, lettuce, tomato (mayo if you want). We love these, so I am very intrigued by this recipe. Can't wait to hear how these turned out! Thanks for sharing.

Thomas Family said...

Going into down to get the ingredients for this, will post my results and hopefully pictures (now that I find my sd card that my darling 6 year old took out of my camera in one of her fits in curiosity). Thanks for the recipe!

Steff said...

Sooooo, inquiring minds want to know...how did these turn out for everyone. Should I make it sometime?

Melissa said...

Yes. VERY yummy meat. I added some cumin to the marinade after reading thomas family post. Very good.
I made the Zatarains black beans and rice to go with it and it was a good compliment.

Thomas Family said...

I really liked it. My kids liked it but it threw them that it was a little on the sweet side. The fact that you marinade the meat before making the enchiladas is a great idea. Usually I just cook my chicken, shred it and mix it with cheese for the filling. I also have to say that these went together pretty quickly. Usually you think of chicken enchiladas as a big hassle. I substituted regular cream for heavy cream which made my sauce a little thinner but regular cream was on sale. My youngest who is 6, actually requested leftovers instead of the dinner we were having tonight. And since she is the last child she of course got her way. So obviously it made a good impression on her. I also like that it used the green chili enchilada sauce as apposed to the red. I love the green!
Thank you for sharing this recipe. I will definitely add it to my file.