Thursday, April 17, 2008

Broiled steak sandwiches




Are we allowed to cut and paste on this blog?

I found this recipe in Real Simple a few months ago and we tried it and loved it. So it's a tried and true but not an original!





1 pound strip steak (I used sirloin because it was half the price!)
Kosher salt and pepper
4 Roma (plum) tomatoes, halved
1 medium red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rings (I used yellow because I don't like red)
4 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 pieces focaccia or French bread, cut in half (we used ciabatta rolls)
3 ounces blue cheese (I used the crumbled gorgonzola from Costco and it was perfect)

Heat broiler.

Season the steak with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place the steak on one half of the baking sheet.

Toss the tomatoes and onion in a medium bowl with the oil, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place the onion and tomatoes, cut-side down, on the other half of the baking sheet.

Broil the steak and vegetables, turning everything once, until the steak reaches the desired doneness, 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove the steak and return the vegetables to oven until browned, about 1 minute more.

Slice the steak. Place the bottom halves of the bread cut-side up and top with the steak, onions, tomatoes, and cheese. Sandwich with the remaining bread. Serve warm.

Substitution: If blue cheese is too strong for your taste, try topping this sandwich with a creamy goat cheese. Or play off the tartness of the balsamic vinegar with slivers of salty Parmesan or Manchego. (or gorgonzola! I should write for Real Simple!)

Yield: Makes 4 servings

3 comments:

Rob & Lisa Lamb Blog said...

Ok, those look really good. I am going to try them - too bad my kids are such stinkin' picky eaters, they miss out on a lot of good stuff!

McGhie Family said...

Of course you can cut and paste! That's actually a great idea.

These look delicious. They look like something Matt and I would both enjoy. Thanks!

Thomas Family said...

Yes! Please cut and paste. I actually scanned the picture of the peanut butter s'more cookies. I figure they have some photography expert taking the pictures so why should I try and top that. Besides, then I didn't have to make a whole batch of cookies just to share the recipe. I also don't think we always have to share a picture. Because there are some recipes I would like to share but if I cook everything I like, we (mostly me)will be rolly polly.

Can't wait to try this recipe. This looks like something my family would really love. Thanks for sharing!